Saturday 16 April 2011

Singapore Yacht Show 2011 - Day 2, The Power of M

After the exciting first day I had at the Singapore Yacht Show, I expected the second day to be the same high-class indulging affair involving chilling by the World's Finest yachts with an ice cold drought in hand. The afternoon did start this way, but the ice cold beer was replaced some fruit juice, and for a good reason: Munich Automobiles was showcasing their range of M cars and giving test drives. 
Looking at the fleet, I had the choice of which car I'd take for a spin. Would I take it top down in the M3 convertible? Race off in an M3 coupe? Play it big in an X5M? No, not being a big fan of SUV with their heavy chassis and boat-like handling, I knew for sure I was going to hop into something lighter and lower. Until I saw the X6M. The behemoth, with its tank-like looks was there, staring at me with promises of speed and excitement. I could hear, at the back of my head, the little voice of my past SUV experiences warning me of quirky handling, pronounced body roll due to too soft suspensions and lack of steering feel, but my guts were charmed by the promises of the behemoth.
And off I was, signing up to test drive the last car I expected to take for a spin, and I was actually looking forward to it. If I had had a few beers before hand, I would have blamed it on the alcohol, but I was as sober as I could get, with only watermelon juice to blame. 
The X6M being, at that time, on a joy ride with someone else, I had to wait for its return like a damsel in distress waiting for her knight in shining armour. Except that the damsel is a knight, and he's waiting for his war horse. A big war horse. A big war horse that ate a twin turbo V8 for breakfast. You get the picture.
Finally, I was told that the X6M was back; but the bad news was that a thunderstorm decided to invite itself to the Yacht Show and I'd have to wait for the heavy downpour to stop before I could drive.
After two frustrating hours, the skies finally stopped drooling all over the place, and the X6M obediently pulled up and opened its door, waiting for me.
Taking the driver's seat, I was instantly greeted by the heads up speed and rpm display, displaying on the windscreen to allow me to keep the speed in check without taking my eyes off the road. After adjusting my seat, I allowed myself to enjoy the towering view, making me feel like I should lower the window, reach down and pat the roof of cars stopped next to me, just because I could.
Driving off at a very slow 40kph, the car feels comfortable, sturdy with a nice, firm steering feel. The high driving position and the sheer size of the vehicle work together to give a very addictive feeling of invincibility, and the drive became an enjoyable, relaxed cruise. I then reached the open roads and, dared by Kugan, my co-pilot from Munich Automobiles, stepped hard on the accelerator. 
You regularly see in movies people flying off to space in various rockets, suddenly pulled back in their seats under the mighty acceleration forces. Well this is about how I felt when the X6M came to life under my foot, propelling me at speeds that I dare not mention, with a melodious grunt of its twin turbo V8. This SUV might be a two tons behemoth, but its 550bhp heart and six-speed M sport automatic transmissions make it fly like a rocket. In addition to that, the firm suspension and precise steering makes it stick to the road like a leech, turning high-speed wet road traffic-dodging into a child's play (at the call of Kugan's "Ben, this is an X6M you're driving, step on it!"). Even in these poor road conditions, the X6M drives undisturbed and will keep you in total control, its powerful brakes bringing its two tons to a halt quickly and safely when needed.
I have to admit, it's with great regrets that I let go of the steering wheel at the end of the test drive.
Funnily, when I stepped out of the behemoth, I heard the crunchy sound of my anti-SUV arguments shattering at the foot of the X6M.






As if things could not get any better, upon coming back from my flight to the moon with the X6M, I was invited by Munich Automobiles to join them to visit some of the World's Finest Yachts from the show.
When I was saying, in the first article, that these yachts were out of this World, that was only after seeing them from outside. Now that I've been inside, I confirm: they come from paradise!
The first yacht we visited was the Azimut Grande 116, a magnificent vessel by Simpson Marine, looking for a lucky owner. The luxury offered by such a yacht is difficult to relate to; try picturing yourself sitting in a 36 meters long Rolls Royce Phantom with five spacious bedrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, a wide dining and living room and an open air deck that can accommodate a jacuzzi and you might start grasping the concept of this masterpiece.


















Following the Azimut, we were invited on board of the most luxurious vessel I've ever boarded. 57 meters long, 10 meters wide, three masts boasting 720 square meters of sails, Jacuzzi, massage room, baby grand piano and six suites to accommodate up to 12 guests; welcome aboard the Montigne.
This epitome of luxury cruises across the World and can be rented on a weekly fee to experience a lifestyle that rivals the greatest palaces around the globe. Chef, crew and "toys" to play with when the anchor is dropped in front of an azure sea lagoon included (“toys” include a 7.3m catamaran, water-skis, wakeboards, snorkel gear and more). Words wouldn't give justice to such a gem of a yacht, so enjoy the pictures and see for yourself.










Enjoy the gallery!












Additional gallery By Benjamin Marverick
(for professional photography enquiries, you can contact Benjamin at maverick0202@gmail.com) 








Special thanks to Kugan and the whole team at Munich Automobiles, Benjamin Maverick, Rachel and Katherine at Fullford PR, Mike at Simpson Marine and Captain Richard of the Montigne.
For enquiries about the Azimut, please refer to www.simpsonmarine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment